Feature type: Protected area
This name originates from Australia. It is part of the Australian Antarctic Gazetteer.
Scullin and Murray Monoliths hold the greatest concentration of breeding seabird colonies in East Antarctica, including the second largest colony of Antarctic petrels Thalassoica antarctica. The Scullin and Murray Monoliths ASPA is a breeding locality for at least 160,000 pairs of Antarctic petrels from a minimum estimated global total of approximately half a million pairs (van Franeker et al. 1999). Scullin Monolith was recently recognised as a candidate Important Bird Area (IBA) using IUCN/BirdLife International criteria on known breeding populations by the SCAR Bird Biology subcommittee in mid-2002 (SCAR unpubl. data). Scullin Monolith (67°47'37"S, 66°43'8"E) and Murray Monolith (67°47'3"S, 66°53'17"E) are situated on the coast of Mac.Robertson Land approximately 160 km east of Mawson station. Scullin and Murray Monoliths are approximately 7 km apart and abut the sea at the edge of the continental ice sheet. The coastline to the west and east, and between the Monoliths, consists of ice cliffs 30 - 40m high; the Antarctic plateau rising steeply from there to the south.
Mawson named both Monoliths during the second BANZARE voyage. Murray Monolith was named after Sir George Murray, Chief Justice of South Australia, Chancellor of the University of Adelaide and a patron of the Expedition, while Scullin Monolith was named after James H. Scullin, Prime Minister of Australia from 1929-31.
No images of this place could be found.
Australian: Large scale (max 1:100,000), Medium scale (between 1:100,000 and 1:250,000), Small scale (min 1:250,000 )
All: Large scale (max 1:100,000), Medium scale (between 1:100,000 and 1:250,000), Small scale (min 1:250,000 )